White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are preferred for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that suit many different home styles. Additionally, white goes with anything, even as décor styles come and go over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s common to be apprehensive that the sun could discolor them. This is especially true if your home receives intense sunlight or faces south. It’s useful to know that not all window treatments are made the same. And that certain plantation shutters are more vulnerable to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you harmful sunburns. They’re also responsible for tarnishing your white plantation shutters, especially if you have poorly or overseas-made shutters. These damaging rays can eat away at protective coating over time. Once the coating is gone, the sun could discolor the paint and cause it to turn yellow.
Scheduled cleaning will help keep your shutters looking their best. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much you can do to fix it. The best way to keep your shutters from yellowing is to find high-quality models that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like a number of other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good an investment as they initially appear to be.
- They may not fit your windows very well. For top energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters should fit seamlessly against the window frame. Ready-made plantation shutters are frequently not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management may deteriorate as a result.
- They’re built from poor materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are reliant on low-quality materials, such as vinyl and composite, and are often hollow. Besides yellowing, they could also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to warping, splitting or breaking off into splinters.
- They’re painted with low-quality paint. Lower-quality paint sometimes contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These substances can be emitted by your shutters over time, causing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in some people. It’s also important to know that poor-quality paint may not possess a a protective UV coating, which could hasten the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what type of quality you could get with plantation shutters that are manufactured overseas. They are typically lower quality than ones that are made in America.
- They may need frequent maintenance. Cheaply made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if any parts come loose or louvers begin to sag. In some cases, you may not be able to repair sagging louvers if your shutters don’t possess tension screws.
- They don’t provide a warranty.
Louver Shop of Atlanta Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Atlanta, we’ve been building our company on quality plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a great decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are identical, and your window treatments need to reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can review all your options in detail. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll have the chance to fully personalize your plantation shutters. And thanks to our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a great fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from top-notch materials. Whether you select our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most timeless look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We rely on an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look great but perform for years.
- Our plantation shutters are finished with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Atlanta plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for use since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also protected against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters domestically in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they better quality, this means you’ll also receive them much sooner, usually within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are easy to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are backed by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Atlanta plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also provide a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Atlanta Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your house’s sense of comfort. Choosing the right ones means you’ll enjoy gorgeous shutters for years with hassle-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re sure to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Atlanta by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.